Recycled bathroom trash into food. That sounds gross!

Living in a remote place, you tend to look at things a little differently.
I recently went shopping for ordinary seed trays to start plants in. I found that they were selling for $5 each. Thats not bad, but I would see what I could do before I spend money. I have tried the cardboard egg crates, but seeds never ever sprout in it. I have tried and still use the bottoms of plastic bottles to plant in, but I need lots of them.
Then one day on my way to burn trash I looked at the toilet paper rolls in the trash. It didnt take long before we had saved up quite a pile of them. I just cut the bottom and folded it so it holds dirt. I have some ready to go with cantaloupe seed in them. I am planning to plant papaya in the rest. Papaya is a good experiment because it cant be transplanted. I think I can just plant the whole tube somewhere. Maybe they can grow up to 2 months in this. Then you can walk around and plant them wherever you want and not have to maintain them and an area for them out in the yard.
I have a small pizza box I am using too. I have dirt and local tobacco seeds in it. I got thos seeds a long time ago and don't know if they are still good. I have planted them out in the yard and have seen no sprouts yet. Lets see how they do in the shelter of the pizza box.


No comments:

Post a Comment